Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One meal, one success



Laurie:
 
22 Oct - So last night I attempted a change, nothing big, but a difference in how I eat in environments I don’t control.  We were invited out to dinner and for me that always means ordering something I won’t have at home. Like a four course meal consisting of wine, appetizer, salad, breads, entree and dessert. Things with sauces, gravies and lots of butter (as any fan of Paula Dean would), fresh made breads with maple butter, scallops in a fresh cream sauce - you get the picture.

Last night we went went to Maggie’s which has some of amazing sliders and nacho’s, but very little in the way of healthy choices (unless deep fried jalapeno’s count).  I usually tell myself it is okay, because this is a special occasion, to just order what I want, unfortunately, these special occasions happen quite often.  With the holidays coming up, they can happen a couple times a week over the next 2 months, so I decided to scour the menu for something that was the “least bad” choice. I immediately skipped past the salad’s (had enough of those this week), the Salmon (nope had 4 servings this week),  the….... nope, never mind.  That was it, everything else was fried, fat or juicy - Defeat!!!  Sliders it is!

“Try again. Change”.  I looked at the salads again: Cesear salad, nope; garden salad, blah; Chef salad, meh; Pear & pecan salad, wait - what?!?! Caramelized pears, candied pecans, mixed greens, balsamic vinegrette and I could add grilled chicken to it, that actually sounded really good! When it came it was a simply stunning choice, the pears were lightly poached, the pecans were crumbled (pecans & crumbly blue are an amazing paring!) and the BV was light & fresh tasting.  No bread, no dessert and I was completely satisfied with the portion size. One meal, one success. Change.

Next stop - NOLA!
--
Laurie Davidson Donohue

No comments:

Post a Comment