Thursday, October 17, 2013

Learning something new



Laurie:
 
17 Oct - Last night was the first class with Feed the Soul & CCE and it went so fast! After filling out paperwork we went into “filling our plate,” which talked about the different foods we should have on our plates.  Things I learned: fruits are high in sugar and should be used in moderation, not all veggies are equal!  That second one was an eye opener for me, because I eat a lot of veggies that fall into the “starch” category, oh man!!!

This is a quick breakdown of how I understand it: spring/summer veggies are good veggies and late summer/fall veggies are high in starch & sugar, which I guess would make sense. In the fall (if we hibernated), we would need to store the energy available to us in the starchy veggies. In the spring we would detox that fat from our liver using the cleansing veggies.

So when I pick a veggie now, that qualifies as a “veggie,” I need to think of when it grows:
Veggie: asparagus, radish, lettuce, beans, zucchini, broccoli
Starch: squash, potato, corn, peas

This may be an over simplification, but it makes it easier to pick healthy food without over thinking it, I like this class!
--
Laurie Davidson Donohue

No comments:

Post a Comment