Saturday, October 5, 2013

Last night I made the most amazing dinner



4 Oct - Yesterday was so needed!  Last night I made the most amazing dinner, I took a half a chicken breast and cut it up into ‘nuggets’ coated them with olive oil, bread crumbs and baked them in the oven. I started with a bed of fresh romaine; half a pear each plate, cut into small cubes; small yellow tomato from the garden, sliced thin; celery sliced tiny; dried cranberries; sunflower seeds; garbanzo beans; canned beets cut into cubes; fresh parm. cheese and a thin drizzle of italian dressing. Topped it with the chicken and a thin drizzle of ranch dressing. The different textures and tastes, this is def on our favorites, we both love the pears and the seeds, beets are one of our favorites and the cranberries were stunning.  This might become a twice a week event!

Went to the Y to see Michelle again this AM.  Unfortunately I was rushed and wish I could have had more time, but I will plan better next week.  Need to bring water with me.  I think I am going to be able to wear flip flops for most of the stuff she has us doing, but will have sneaks, too.  I think I am really going to miss this after the 12 weeks.

So, today I got on a treadmill for the first time in my life, (I kid you not) and I also kicked it up a notch all by myself. That’s right, I made a conscious decision to walk faster then M had recommended and I survived!  There was the one close call.  Here is a little tip.  Always pay attention while on a treadmill, especially the first time, cause for a minute or two I had visions of my flying right off the back (little bit of panic).  Also, they put a ‘stop’ button in the middle of the handrail, which of course I put my hand on, repeatedly; but I’m a smart girl, I figured out how those reset  buttons work, sort of….. (please see previous sentence).  We worked on the Reclining Elliptical and I am not sure, but I think they made the handle bars smaller, they seemed much bigger in my memory. I made 2 miles in 12 minutes, woot, woot! Finally we had the Arm Rower and feeling flush with success from monkeying with the T.M., I upped the ante from resistance 2 to 3.5. Oh yeah baby, feel the burn!!!!

Today was a short day at work and I was home by 4:30, so I decided to go out for a quick Urban Trek, maybe get 3.5 in before it got to cold.  Lambchop got home and jumped on his bike and came out to join me. He rode around as I pounded the pavement. It must have worked, because I did the 3.5 in about 50 minutes and I was huffing to keep up, extending my stride and pumping my arms, but I shaved several minutes off and am almost back to my former time. Sweet!

On the food end, I have been gaining weight and I think it might be the addition of the fruit. I am rethinking what/ how much fruit I need vs more veggies.  I don’t think I am processing the sugars and I might need to look at different options than bananas & pears or maybe just fill that void with more veggies.  I looked up different fruits that weren’t as high in calories (ie. sugar) and that is where the cranberries came from, also apricots (I love apricots).  Actually any red fruit is so good for you it is amazing! Cherries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries - all beyond belief benefits!

Okay, end of week 1, 11 more to go………..


 Laurie Davidson Donohue

No comments:

Post a Comment