Sunday, October 13, 2013

Adding fruit to my day

Laurie:



Oct 12 - Building on what Joleene said, changing your eating by changing your habits, I have been trying to adapt new food to a particular habit, so that I do it without thinking.  My goal this week was to add two fruits a day to my diet, a real challenge for me as I am not a fruit person, but I came up with a plan that seems to work. Part of the problem with my meds is they cause leg cramps (similar to shin splints), waking me up at night.  The easiest fix I have found is to eat a banana, but I only do that when the cramps get obnoxious.  Instead I am now having a banana every day for breakfast, a meal I usually ignore, and this solves both those problems.

When Michelle asked me to goal for 2 fruits a day, I was really not invested in the idea, but in trying to think outside the box I came up with something that seems to be working.  I went to the store and bought some dried cranberries and various nuts and put together some measured amounts in baggies for ready mixed snacks.  As I sit at my computer in the morning doing emails, FB, etc, I snack on them (unconsciously), getting that second serving of fruit.

I found out how important this small act was this weekend, because, while it is easy to make changes when we have a routine, a wrench thrown into our lives (death, birth, travel) can make it harder to keep eating healthy.  Stress puts that piece of pizza in my hand in the morning, family situations ending with fried food and carbo loading (or gravy).  But every morning I sit at my computer and a choice is already made, my breakfast is right there and at the very least, I start my day with a healthy choice.
-- Laurie Davidson Donohue

No comments:

Post a Comment